Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Birth Story {Alana Anne Davis}

Being a Mom is my best accomplishment ever.  After having Ava, my heart yearned to have another baby!  On December 16th, 2015, I had a funny feeling and decided to take a pregnancy test. Ryan wasn't even home and I wasn't expecting it to actually come out positive.

Ava and I were in the middle of getting ready for the day and low and behold, a "pregnant" popped up on the test! I literally screamed and jumped up and down while Ava looked up at me while playing on the floor at only 8 months old.  I was in shock. I wanted to have another baby, but we didn't plan on trying until after the summer.  I called Ryan right away and he answered while standing in line at the post office. We were so excited for our new blessing!

Right after Ava's first birthday, we found out we were having another girl.  Ryan guessed it from the beginning, and I was very surprised. I love having a daughter and was super happy that we would be adding another girl to our family!

Just like with Ava, I had another low risk pregnancy and everything went very well at all of my check ups.  My initial due date was August 16th and was pushed back to August 24th at our first ultrasound, so I was so curious my entire pregnancy wondering when she would actually arrive.

At my 40 week check up, I had my membranes swept and I was measuring at 3 cm. The Dr. scheduled me to come back for a stress test the following Monday, but said she'd be shocked to see me. She was surprised I hadn't given birth yet since I was 3 cm at my 39 week check up.  I called my Mom on my way into work that morning to let her know how my appointment went. She convinced me to just go home and give myself time to relax. I decided that day would be my last day of work.  Once I got home, I schedule a prenatal massage for that night.  A prenatal massage is what helped jumpstart my last labor and I ended up being 6 days late with Ava. I really didn't want to waste my maternity leave time without having my baby, so I was hoping a massage would get things started.

After getting my massage that night, contractions started and I didn't get any sleep that night.  Ava also unexpectedly woke up that night and was so attached to me. She didn't want to leave my side.  She hadn't woken up in the middle of the night in months.  I swear she knew something was happening!  My contractions were varying from 6-15 minutes apart and I knew I'd have to wait until they were 5 minutes apart for an hour before calling my Doctor.

The next morning, I decided to take a shower and eat something.  After showering, my contractions stopped and I was able to nap for a few hours.  I woke up in the early afternoon and decided to call my Mom to let her know that contractions were happening so that her and my sister could get ready to come over. I called the Doctor around 4pm and she suggested I get to the hospital since they didn't have any appointments at the office at that time.

I decided to stay home as long as I could, since I wanted to have another natural birth.  My Mom and sister arrived and we went for a walk and I started to feel very frustrated. My contractions had slowed down again and Ava wasn't acting like herself.  She whined the entire day and was clinging to me.  It was like she knew I would be leaving her.  Around 7:30pm, I got Ava ready for bed and my contractions started coming very strong. My water still hadn't broke and I didn't want to go to the hospital only to be sent home.  Before I knew it, they were 2-3 minutes apart and I just knew it was time to go.

We arrived at the hospital around 8:30pm.  I was measuring at 5cm when arriving to triage and was then taken up to labor and delivery.  They notified me that they would have to break my water if it didn't break on it's own soon.  I felt so much more fear this time because I had to leave my baby girl at home and knowing what kind of pain I was soon going to endure.

Once we got up to labor and delivery, I fought through contractions for about an hour and the Doctor came in to break my water.  Contractions were getting more and more unbearable and I remember thinking, "I can't do this."  My Husband kept me breathing and my Mom reminded me to keep my movements as I fought through each contraction.  The anesthesiologist came in to ask me questions and I literally wanted to scream at him. He was affecting my energy and I wanted nothing to do with an epidural. It felt like he was trying to tempt me and even had said, "I know you want to do this naturally, but most people change their minds."  I wanted to punch him!!!!  He quickly ran through his questions and I think he finally got the sense that I was not in the mood to speak with him.

Once my water was broke, I knew I'd be meeting her soon.  "Welcome Baby Alana" was written on a board right in front of me and I focused on that through each contraction. All I kept thinking about was holding my baby girl. I envisioned having my two daughters together and it helped me stay calm.

I knew something more was happening so I told Ryan to grab the Doctor.  I didn't feel like I was monitored as close this time around and found myself just in the room with Ryan and my Mom most of the time.  Once the Nurse came in, a few others followed behind and I suddenly felt an oxygen mask being put on my face. The tone in the room changed and my Husband and Mom had panicked looks on their faces. I was so busy fighting through my contractions that I didn't even realize what was going on around me.

Alana's heart rate had dropped drastically and they were having me move in all types of positions to get a better reading on her heart. I kept moving through my contractions to help deal with the pain which made it very hard for them to get a good reading with the monitor.  I ended up being on my hands and knees on my hospital bed and I remember looking over at Ryan and having a fear that something was seriously wrong.  What if they'd try to talk me into a c-section? That was the last thing I remember thinking and I finally blurted out, "is everything ok? Is my baby ok?" No one was really saying what was going on and I was so scared. I felt like I couldn't breath and before I knew it, the Doctor checked me and said it was time to push. I rolled back over onto my back and she told me to push and I replied, "No"!  She said I was 10cm and it was time.  I didn't believe that I went from being 8cm a few minutes before to being ready to push.  I held onto my knees and gave 3 good pushes, and out she came!  On push #2, my Mom yelled, "she's a pepper!" (meaning she had dark hair) and it gave me such an adrenaline rush.  I pushed her out in less than a minute and was so relieved it happened so fast, since I pushed for a half an hour with my first which was so utterly exhausting.

On August 25th, at 11:29pm, Alana Anne Davis was born.  She was 19 inches long and weighed 6lbs 13oz.   They placed her on my chest and she looked like the smallest little peanut with dark brown hair. She was the quietest baby and was so calm.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw her.  I saw traces of Ava and realized she looked a lot like me.  After being stitched up, Alana was cleaned up and latched right on.  I prayed that we'd have a better breastfeeding experience then I did with Ava and luckily Alana had no problem.  My Mom played Salt n' Pepa's "Push It" on her laptop and I remember thinking that the medical staff probably thought we are nuts - lol.  My little sister has blonde hair and I'm a brunette, so we've always been known as "Salt n Pepa" and I couldn't believe I had my own little Salt n Pepa.

Seeing Ryan hold my dark haired little baby made me giggle.  Ava looks so much like her Daddy and it was funny to see how different each child can be.  Although there were a ton of similarities between my first and second pregnancy, many memories are so different.  I felt the pain was worse this time but the pushing was so much easier.  I had so many fears of being able to love another child like I love Ava, and the second I met Alana, I fell so in love with her.  "Love doesn't divide, it multiplies."

Going through childbirth is so empowering.  It took me a few days to be able to sleep again because my adrenaline was so high. My husband jokes that he has post traumatic stress disorder from experiencing my childbirth and I'm sure that really happens to people.  It such a whirlwind of emotions and I just couldn't be happier to have such a beautiful and healthy baby girl.

Alana Anne, I love you so much my beautiful little girl.  You are already so sweet and add such a peace to our home.  Thank you Jesus for blessing me with another angel baby who has already made my heart grow more, which I didn't believe possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment